Let Your Member of Congress Know How You Really Feel About the 2018 Budget
Call your legislator at 844-402-1001 and tell them NO on the House budget.
Say NO to Moving the postal Service “On Budget”
The House bill includes a recommendation to put the Postal Service “on budget,” making it part of the overall federal budget. The Postal Service currently operates “off budget,” relying solely on the sale of postage and other postal services for funding.
Moving the Postal Service “on budget” could potentially:
- Put caps on Postal Service spending
- Subject the Postal Service to Federal shutdowns
Moving the Postal Service “on budget” could severely hinder Postal operations and is an obvious attempt to move the Postal Service closer to privatization.
Oppose Cuts to Pay and Retirement Benefits
Additionally, the White House and House Budget Committee proposals include recommendations for cuts to the hard-earned pay and benefits of postal/federal workers.
The House 2018 Federal Budget calls for:
- Increasing employee pension contributions into the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS). This could result in a cut to the take home pay of thousands of dollars a year for each FERS postal employee.
- Ending the Social Security supplement currently covering the gap in FERS benefits for those who retire before they are eligible for social security benefits.
- Eliminating pensions for new hires.
There is also a concern that Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) on FERS retirement benefits will be eliminated and COLAs on current civil service retirees will be reduced, as previously proposed by the White House.
Tell your legislator to stand up for workers and vote NO on these proposals.
If you are interested in meeting with your Representative and telling them how you REALLY feel, across the country APWU state and local union presidents and legislative directors are arranging visits to Congressional representatives’ district offices.
Contact your local union leaders to join your local’s delegation.
Flyer (513.19 KB)